Saab 9-3 (9400) Frequently Asked Questions 1999 - 2003
Lock Cylinder Replacement
- STEP 1 Remove the driver seat and side covers of the center console.
- STEP 2 Remove the air duct and put shifter in 4th gear (automatic Transmission)
- STEP 3 Remove the shifter rod clamp at the gearbox.
- STEP 4 Remove the screws that hold down the gear shifter housing and turn on its side.
- STEP 5 Cut tie wraps to free wires from shifter housing. (passenger side of housing)
- STEP 6 Turn shifter housing bottom up & unclip electrical plug from ignition switch.
- STEP 7 Remove Torx screws from ignition switch & switch will come out of shifter housing.
- STEP 8 Turn key in any "on" position.
- STEP 9 With flat head screw driver. Push tab on side of ignition switch and tug on key. Should separate.
- STEP 10 Re-install in reverse order.
Thanks to James for contributing to this FAQ!
I was able to remove the ignition switch without removing the front seat and without cutting any tie wraps in step 5. I was able to move the shifter housing to the right so that I could get to the ignition switch underneath. The tricky part will be connecting the vent controller plastic extending rod back to the car when putting this all back together.
Thanks to Steve Middendorf for contributing to this FAQ!
Access to the ignition switch requires removal of the entire center console and removal of both seats in my opinion really does make the entire project easier.
The best instructions for removal of the center console are here:
Please note that the quoted instructions are for a manual transmission with automatic air conditioning controls. For a Saab with auto transmission, you don't need to remove any of the linkage at the transmission or to the transmission; with the auto it is just a morse cable that runs from the shifter to the tranny and there is plenty of flex in the cable to allow the center console to be moved around etc. With manual air conditioning, the removal of the air conditioning control panel is slightly different to automatic ACC panel. Instructions for the removal of the manual air conditioning control
Instructions for the removal of the manual air conditioning control panel are here: http://www.thesaabsite.com/FAQ--ac-c...placement.html
Pricing for 93 (1999-2003) Body, External (Lock Cylinder)
Pricing for 93 (1999-2003) Electrical, General (Keys - Related)
Pricing for 93 (1999-2003) Ignition System (Ignition Switch)
Pricing for 93 (1999-2003) Transmission (Ignition Switch)