soft top lowering issue - soft top doesn't snap and stops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
19siro80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: soft top lowering issue - soft top doesn't snap and stops Reply with quote

Hey, my 2001 9-3 SE convertible doesn't work properly with the soft top lowering.
Lowering the soft top works fine until the to top is supposed the snap and going into the soft top compartment. I get a error message "soft top failure" on the SID.

I added a photo to show you in which lowering position it stops, see link bellow.

When I use the lowering button again and start pushing the soft top, it continues lowering without and additional error.

When the soft top stops and I switch the roof button, it can hear a buzzing.
I already checked the soft top hydraulic fluid, it is between MIN and MAX

Anyone any idea what I should check?

[img]https://plus.google.com/photos/111476581202186519889/albums/5705656832623457825[/img]
19siro80

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: soft top lowering issue - soft top doesn't snap and stops Reply with quote

Thanks, I found some interesting information there. Very Happy

I think I should start with checking if the propeller of the hydraulic pump needs to be replaced. The fluid level is between the MIN MAX marks even though I noticed that the hydraulic pistons are a little oily.

I already opened the compartment where the hydraulic motor and the reservoir is located but I have no idea about how to proceed for the propeller check. It is also a little difficult to work on it because all parts are mounted on the metal plate and everything is connected to the hoses of course. Shocked

Do I have to empty the hydraulic fluid to get access to the propeller? Or how can I investigate if the propeller is the root cause of my issue? Any suggestions, instructions? Rolling Eyes
protech5
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: soft top lowering issue - soft top doesn't snap and stops Reply with quote

In addition to the slow movement, if your soft top is hitting the Top Cover during motion, it might be worthwhile to check the safety (shear) pin that holds the Universal Joint to the Soft Top Cover drive shaft. The U-joint can be accessed by undoing the top right area of the boot upholstery where the Drive unit and the mechanisms reside. The Safety/Shear pin often dislodges and even falls out on high-usage units, and lies at the bottom of the soft-top compartment - tap it back in (note that it's tapered). Tapping it back in so that the pin is flush with the U-Joint metal will give your dramatic (improved) results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: