Input shaft speed sensor / code P0717

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Input shaft speed sensor / code P0717 Reply with quote

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, though I have been a customer of thesaabsite.com for a while. I have a 2002 9-3 SE with an auto trans and I recently got error code P0717 indicating that there is no signal from the input speed sensor. Strangely, when I clear the code with my OBDII scanner, it does not come back right away. It can take a week before the code comes back.

As you may know, the input and output shaft speed sensors are the same part number (8781932) and I changed the one in-line with the input shaft, closer to the inner fender. I believe this is the right one, and the other one (closer to the firewall) is the output shaft speed sensor. First, can anyone confirm that I did replace the right one based on this description?

After replacement, the code did not come back for a hundred miles or so, but then eventually it did come back. This code indicates no signal from the sensor, so if there is an internal trans problem being detected by a functional sensor, the code should be a different number, right?

Finally, I believe my possibilities are bad connection at the wire, the replacement sensor is also bad, or the computer has an issue. It was also suggested to me to change the fluid, though it was flushed a year or two ago and still looks bright red. Is there anything I missed here? I suppose my next step is to swap the input and output sensors to see if the problem changes sides (indicating that the new sensor I installed is also bad). Beyond that, I'm at a loss.

Thanks very much for reading and for advice,
Eric
2002 SAAB 9-3 SE auto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: