Seroius engine issue, please help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willyjo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Seroius engine issue, please help! Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 2000 Viggen with 111,000 miles on it. The drive home was 400 miles and all went well until the last 100 miles on the Interstate when I decided to test the performance. After a short stretch at a higher than posted speed, the check engine light came on but the engine didn't seem to run any different until I accelerated hard kicking the turbo boost up. The engine seemed to stumble almost like the waste gate was dumping. The following day I was going to test the DI Cassette and when I removed the spark plugs #1 and #3 cylinder both had the electrode burned completely off. I replaced all plugs and took the car out for a test drive, it ran perfectly, until I again accelerated hard and there was a loud pop and oil shot out of the fill cap. I coasted to a stop we checked to make sure oil cap was on correctly and then started the engine back up. As soon as it fired the oil cap was blown completely apart a sent in pieces 30+ feet away. the engine would run but missed and was smoking out of any possibly location on the engine and forcing oil out of the exhaust at the point where it bolts to the manifold. I pulled the plugs out and #1 and #3 cylinders were again without electrodes. Closer inspection of the original plugs the electrodes were broken off not burned off as originally thought. I have removed the valve cover and can see oil on top of at least the #1 piston. Do I have a broken ring? A piston issue? Why would only 2 of the plugs be damaged each time, and where do I go from here?
willyjo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seroius engine issue, please help! Reply with quote

Does not seem to be over boosting but detonation may be the answer to the plug issue. I did notice some pinging when accellerating hard and just before turbo boost was really obvious. I was running 91 octane gas. I also found the PCV valve or check valve was no good. I'm not sure if I should pull motor, tear down and rebuild, or if I should put back together with 2 new plugs, and try again. As I said I JUST purchased the car and obviously wasn't planning on that added expense... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
willyjo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Seroius engine issue, please help! Reply with quote

The pair of pistons I assume? If torn up form striking the plug electrode or will the pinging from a detonation issue? Would timing be the most common cause of the pinging?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheSaabSite Forums & Classifieds Forum Index -> Saab 93 (9-3) 1998-2003 Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: