Battery Charging Issue

NG Saab 900 Discussions
DLHudson1

Battery Charging Issue

Post by DLHudson1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:41 pm

My car is a 96 900 SE Turbo convertible-less than 100k miles. A couple of months ago the battery went dead on the expressway and I had to have it towed back home. I recharged the battery and drove it up to the local Advance Auto to have the alternator tested. They hooked it up to their tester and it came back with no activity-it showed that it was not outputting anything. This kind of surprised me because I had replaced the alternator about 15,000 miles prior. I took it to my mechanic and they changed out the alternator (again) and I picked it up. I drove it a couple of days and it went dead again. I recharged, had it tested, and this time it said that the alternator was putting out about 12.5 volts. Not enough, but obviously better than before. Took it back to the mechanic and he went over it with a fine toothed comb. After a few days, he called me and said that he'd found it-a corroded wire somewhere in the system, and had taken care of it. Went back and picked it up, and a couple days later it went dead once again. Testing showed that the alternator output was still registering in the mid 12's, so back to the mechanic.

At this point the mechanic has had it for weeks-he says that the alternator output readings are fluctuating, sometimes putting out the correct voltage, sometimes not. Frankly, I don't know if that's accurate or not, but given the way that it performed during the couple of brief times I've had it back in the last couple of months, it may be true. I stopped by and talked to him again this morning, and he promised me he'd find the problem and have it back to me shortly, which is pretty much what I've been hearing every time I've stopped in there for the last several weeks. My read is that he does want to take care of it, but hasn't a clue what it is.

At this point I have no idea if the original alternator was actually bad-or perhaps it was, and the new one he put in may also be bad. Or maybe it's something else. In any case, I want to push the guy to get my car back to me this week. Any suggestions/input?